You might remember I featured a piece of vintage yard furniture awhile back.
It has been on the farm of my Grandmother in law for about 60 years, and was in rough shape.
But it was really something special.
I set about working on repairing it and getting it ready for another 60 years…in my yard. (no farm here unfortunately)
I looked it over and located the problem spots, rust through damage, and lost parts. Then I started the work of bring it back to life.
The back’s connection to the seat was in rough shape because it was a place for water to collect and cause rust. I took a wire wheel and was able to make short work of the problem. 10,000 RPMs is a powerful thing! I then welded then gaps closed and wire wheeled it again.
The handle on the left side arm rest had been worn through in a couple of spots. I can only guess how many butter beans you would have to shuck to get to the point where the metal is worn through… but that bench certainly had seen a lot of shucking, of all kinds of vegetables, in its day.
The thought that it had seen enough use to wear through the metal just makes me want to repair it even more.
I welded all the joints and attachments to make it stronger and then added metal feet to the bottom of the legs. I will attach pieces of treated wood to these feet so that the metal does not touch the ground and start the rusting process all over again.
I took it to my powder coater to get it sandblasted to remove all the old paint and rust. Then they baked on a finish in the color my wife selected.
I think it will hold a special place in the back yard for a long time to come.
Overall, I think the piece turned out great.
Now I will have to put some thought into redoing the matching chair…trust me, it will take a lot more work than this one…
But then… that is the fun of it!!